Working with .925 sterling silver

Posted on

These are heart & pretzel posts I made with .925 Sterling Silver
These are heart & pretzel posts I made with .925 Sterling Silver
.925 Sterling in raw wire form and some earring hooks I made with it!
.925 Sterling in raw wire form and some earring hooks I made with it!

I have been working with metal for a while now and I love it!  The ability to shape, form or saw something that is in such a raw form and transform it into something beautiful, is what I love!   I use metal sheet in various thickness and wire in various gauges when creating my work.  Honestly, I prefer the look of thicker copper sheet as opposed to the thinner copper sheets, it takes being hammered much better and provides more substance to the piece of jewelry- in my opinion at least!

Sterling silver is a great metal to work with and I use .925 Sterling.  The .925 stands for the fact that 92.5% of it is pure silver and the other 7.5% is copper.   The reason for the copper being there is that it gives durability and workability to the silver… Pure silver is very soft and often in liquid form therefore 7.5% copper is added.   Keep in mind that since some copper is present, over time .925 Sterling silver will oxidize and tarnish…but with a simple wipe of a jewelry cleaning cloth, the tarnish will wipe off and reveal the brilliant silver shine!  And I sure do love the shine, it is wonderful- clean & bright!

The other thing I love about .925 Sterling Silver, is that since it contains no nickel, it is a non-reactive metal.   That means when in contact with the skin, it (normally) does not cause a reation.   .925 Sterling Silver allows for comfortable wear, especially for those with sensitive skin (like me!)  When I shop for jewelry, one of the first things I look for is a label reading “hypoallergenic, .925 sterling silver, for sensitive skin or Nickel-free”.  If none of those are listed or stated by the maker,  I generally will not purchase it.

Since my daughter and I have sensitive skin, I want to be sure I am buying something that’s going to be comfortable to wear!  If I am buying a pair of earrings, I want to WEAR them, not just look at them!!!   I don’t want my ears itching and turning red 3 days later…then resorting to putting them in the back of my jewelry box and feeling disappointed that I’d just spent my money on something I won’t wear again.

I made these post earrings with the thought of providing a comfortable pair of earrings for children.  The hearts are listed on my etsy shop- Sunhine On Water- at the following link… http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunshineOnWater?ref=pr_shop_more

I’ve bought earrings for my daughter in the past but this time I decided to make her some myself!  I began with the hearts, then made the pretzels.  She wears her pair comfortably and without any problems, it’s great!  With the rubber backs on them, they are secure but easy enough to get on and off when needed.

All in all, the brightness, simple shine and comfort provided by .925 sterling silver makes it a great metal to work with and wear!

Althought it is cold outside, the sun is shining beautifully today! I hope everyone has a great day!

Advertisements

6 thoughts on “Working with .925 sterling silver

    erin gursslin said:
    February 27, 2013 at 1:19 pm

    wow! Your earring hooks look perfect!! I really need to step up my game!

    Sannipanni said:
    February 27, 2013 at 2:35 pm

    Very pretty!!

      petunia106 responded:
      February 27, 2013 at 4:17 pm

      Thank you!! 🙂

    petunia106 responded:
    February 27, 2013 at 4:16 pm

    🙂 Thank you Erin! I make all my own earring hooks for my sterling silver jewelry (that way I can tell customers that all aspects of my sterling silver jewelry is hand-made). I’m trying to be more consistent with my work this year!

    sammysgrammy said:
    February 27, 2013 at 9:48 pm

    New Years resolutions sure are an incentive to get into gear. Your new blog is lovely. It has a clean minimalist look like your jewelry does.

      petunia106 responded:
      February 27, 2013 at 10:09 pm

      Yes, they are! Thank you Rita, I appreciate your support!
      Betsy

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s